Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting!


Setting: Tiny Tiger Tae Kwon Do Tournament. ACDC’s “Back in Black” is playing, as some of the older Tiny Tigers bust out kick-ass Ninja-style action in the adjoining rings. Five year old Bear, sitting like a black belt at the edge of the ring with the other children, nervously awaits his turn to perform. At one point, he politely requests permission to use the restroom (hey, nature calls). When his name is called (the second time – the first time he was still in the bathroom), he bravely approaches the center of the ring and busts out some of his own kick-ass Bruce Lee-inspired moves. I cannot help but notice that many of these moves are free-style and not a part of his prepared weapon form, as well as the fact that, to my knowledge, he has never attempted any of these moves before. At one point, he decides a spontaneous somersault would be a nice addition to his improvised routine. Unfortunately, he approaches the somersault in slow-motion, appearing instead as if he’s attempting a headstand while also leaving his weapons several feet behind. Nonetheless, he does manage to bring home two first-place trophies, an accomplishment of which his family is extremely proud.

Note: When asked the night before if he was nervous about his tae kwon do tournament, Bear confided matter-of-factly, “I’m a little apprehensive.” “Apprehensive,” I said, impressed by what I feel is pretty sophisticated vocabulary for a five year-old. “That means nervous mom,” he responded, rolling his eyes as if to say, “God mom, you really don’t know anything.”

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is soo funny. Did you record the Kung Fu moves?

Existential Waitress said...

Thought you'd get a kick out of this. My mother-in-law recorded it, as my crappy video camera isn't working that well suddenly. I asked her to make me a copy. C and I tried to control our laughter, but it was freakin' hilarious!