Sunday, January 18, 2009

And Now for Something Truly Disgusting...



Tonight, we had "breakfast for dinner," something we do fairly often since it's relatively easy to prepare and the kids seem to enjoy it. However, for the first time ever, C cooked something truly disgusting called "scrapple," which I had never heard of before.

Apparently, scrapple is the unique creation of the Pennsylvania Dutch. Being from Pennsylvania, I guess C practically wet his pants when he stumbled upon his beloved scrapple at our local grocery store.

According to Culinary Sleuth, "the word, scrapple originates from 'scrap' or 'scrappy' meaning (that it's) made up of odds and ends because that's exactly what it is—boiled, ground leftover pig scraps with cornmeal and spices thrown in."

Perhaps you're wondering exactly what parts of the pig go into the creation of scrapple? I know I was, so I googled it. Again, according to Culinary Sleuth, "after the ham, bacon, chops, and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig, what remains are the fixings for scrapple - including the meat scraped off the head" (sorry, that was just me dry-heaving). Depending on the batch, "scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains."

What's more, scrapple is gray in color.


This image really doesn't do scrapple the justice it deserves - it's far more gray than that.

And as if frying scrapple and eating it at the same table that I have to eat my own dinner at weren't offensive enough, C managed to get scrapple grease all over the stove and my favorite blue pot as well. 

My cute blue bean pot prior to the assault

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scrapple does sound pretty gross!

Amy said...

oh my god that is so gross. In my distaste and fascination with gross food items I am surprised that I haven't heard of it before. Quite educational.

Existential Waitress said...

I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard of it before either. C used to be a vegetarian too and is extremely picky about food. what would possess him to eat this, I have no idea!